When Sands Alive reached out to me to review their Sands Alive GLOW set, I was thrilled – as were my kids. They couldn’t get in the box FAST ENOUGH. In fact, two weeks ago my kids were all set to leave on vacation. They were DYING to go – LITERALLY. So much so that I found my daughter with her feet in the Sands Alive box, pretending she was at the beach! (I didn’t have time to get a picture because my husband freaked out, pulled her away and vacuumed the carpet faster than you can say, “son of a beach, Batman!”)
I was a little more laid back about the whole thing. I mean, how can you resist getting your hands on cold, cool sand that you can fashion into anything? Feet, hands, whatever!
They were so jazzed about this toy they actually COOPERATED! When ever does a 12 year old cooperate with a 9 year old??
Later, Amelia pushed Zoe aside and took a turn of her own (it couldn’t last forever…).
But the real proof of how much they loved this toy came on one of our last day of school. Now my kids love school and the last week was kind of a free-for-all-of-fun, so they really wanted to go. But they ALSO had a brand new toy they loved! The solution?
Put on those backpacks and play! Yes, and they played right until the time the bus showed up at the door! But hey, they were ready to go!
Sands Alive GLOW Review: A Nontoxic Toy
As you can see it was a hit with the kids, but they loved playing with the light and glasses separately from the sand, rather than together. It does glow – but I think Amelia was expecting the sand itself to change color. That said, this is a nontoxic way to color the sand, rather than drenching it dyed chemicals – no thank you!
And speaking of nontoxic, what is Sands Alive made of? This is from their website:
All 100% Natural, Organic – Non Toxic Ingredients. It is primarily made of natural sand and a natural food grade binding agent. The ingredients in Sands Alive! are the patent to the product, so they cannot be shared with the general public. The main ingredients is Natural Sands.
In my quest to embrace the imperfect, I can live with that! And what about allergies? Glad you asked. Here is their statement on testing:
The product has been tested for Canadian Risk Assessment/Toxicity and passed. It was tested by using 1814 grams of this sand, (maximum amount of sand in a single consumer product) which may come in contact with the skin and/or smaller amounts that may occasionally be ingested and/or may rarely contact the eyes as single exposure events. None of the ingredients in this sand would be expected to cause a sensitization (allergic) reaction in the vast majority of exposed individuals. There is a remote possibility that one or more individuals in the general population could exhibit a sensitization (allergic) reaction on contact. Such an event, while expected to be rare, cannot be absolutely ruled out. None of the ingredients in as much as 1,814 grams of this sand are banned or restricted for use in consumer products sold in Canada.
No Seashells, Wheat, Gluten, Oats, Diary, Nuts or Latex are in Sands Alive! The product does contain glycerin.
So an extremely rare allergic reaction – which almost sounds like a “must put in” to deal with the possibility of reality. In addition, they claim it is safe if ingested and that it contains a germ and bacteria resistant formula (that is proprietary) so no bacteria grows in the sand. They also claim they are the only compound in this marketplace that can guarantee this.
Despite my husband’s woes, clean up was fast and easy. (It’s not like actual sand that gets into everything.) It can go far, through, so recommend you play on a table and keep most of the sand in the box. However, it has no smell and is infinitely more friendly than some other, stinkier molding products – and it’s gluten free!
The Sands Alive play sets are priced from $20-30 at Toys R Us online, so this is an affordable toy for kids and for presents. They suggest age 3+ for their toys but say the sand is safe for all ages. Learn more about Sands Alive at their FAQ page.
I’m giving Sands Alive Glow a 4.5 out of 5 for a fun, nontoxic toy.