I say “incomplete” because here’s a new one on me:
“Baffling,” of course, but ONLY if, like my friend Margie said, “You’re only looking at the floor.” So here’s the full list:
- radioactive iodine a few years before pregnancy. Because doctors always know what’s best for the thyroid. (NOT)
- Maternal Age
- almost weekly sonograms
- fetal distress during delivery (brief but it may have harmed Zoe)
- eating food with dyes, preservatives, GMOs, MSG/excitotoxins
- the toxins inherent with a newly-built home
- pesticides to deal with bees inside my first home and ants, stink bugs and beetles in my second. Also pesticides inside the former farmland my current home is on.
- hair dye. Yes, I was that selfish.
- parabens in probably every beauty product I used and the stuff that’s in deodorants
- a full diet of glutens and dairy
- not breastfeeding my babies because of the next item >>
- my own predisposition towards sensory issues and allergies* plus my thyroid/autoimmune issues
- father predisposed to ADHD* (these 2 are known as “Genetics loaded the gun…”)
- toxins everywhere! (…”And then environment pulled the trigger”)
- pollution (I live less than an hour from the city voted the highest toxin content in 2012)
- Tylenol, the only pain killer they ever let me take, which is why now I just go to bed when my headache’s that bad
- yeast issues
- toxic paint (new home) and toxic mattresses
- petroleum jelly
- and, of course, vinyl flooring
I say this NOT to stand here with my head on the floor mired in guilt. I’m not, I didn’t know what I didn’t know, and there is nothing at all random about this life, I believe. Zoe’s struggles have taught me a lot and grown me into someone with a lot of faith and, I hope, a good amount of character.
I do say this to warn women out that you need to take steps NOW, before you are pregnant! Here’s a COMPLETE list of what to do or change before pregnancy from the Autism Research Council:
Just add “no vinyl floors”…
In case you haven’t read it, here is Part 1 of a list of possible causes of autism.
*I believe that allergies, ADHD, autism, Asperger’s and asthma are all part of the same systemic root, thanks to this book, here is my affiliate link: