In a few days, a new year starts and my biggest concern is health – that is, MY health. At 47, it’s time I really took some stock and started getting on a healthy track.
Although I’m a decent size and shape, except for my middle (yuck), and my lack of muscle tone, I know I’m not healthy because I don’t work out.
Not even a little.
I used to, when Amelia was little. We had a treadmill, and though I worried about her hands, I could keep an eye and make sure she was safe. But as time went on, and we had a slightly more demanding child, working out became a pipe dream, and the tread mill became a clothes hanger. When we moved to this house in 2007, it didn’t even make it out of the garage, nor did we replace the parts lost in the move.
When my husband finally put it out for garbage, I felt a twinge of guilt, but no more than that.
Once we moved here, twice a year we would get a flyer from the next town over, which held classes like yoga and kickboxing (my 2 favorites) for about 40 bucks for 6 or 8 sessions. Every season, I would put it on my list, but find myself broke or unable to drive or some other reason why I couldn’t join.
At the top of this year, I promised myself that I’d go to one of those courses IF I could stick to at leaset 3 months of working out, 3x a week, on my Wii. I bought a work out outfit and found my Zumba video that I’d never taken out of the box.
I took it out in October. I did the practice and almost died.
Let’s just say that I have zero rhythm for Zumba and leave it at that.
That brings me here. Do I have goals for 2013? Yes, I do. Not too many, but I want to try. Now that I have a serious handle on my eating (takeout is something I still do but now it makes me gag), I need to put in working out. Here is my list:
- Work out, starting weekly – perhaps just on Tuesday mornings, briefly? Then maybe Tuesdays and Thursdays, before the end of January.
- Find a workout program that intrigues me for the Wii, no matter the cost. In the meanwhile, do WiiFit.
- Buy sneakers before the summer. That’s right – I DON’T own any.
- After I buy said sneakers, I’d like to start walking again. I have TONS of podcasts and other things I can listen to while I walk, and an iPod I never use.
- Learn to bike ride. This is actually a MAJOR goal, because I’m terrified. Yes, that’s right, I never learned to ride and I’m scared, you-know-what-less. I’d like to do it though, and perhaps I can borrow Amelia’s bike to learn on when she’s not around 🙂
- Fit all this into my life as a special needs (and autism) mama and share with other moms who really believe that they must shelve their own needs to take care of their children. I am of the opinion that taking care of ourselves IS one of the greatest gift to our children with disabilities, since they will need us a bit longer than other parents.
Are those good enough goals? I’m not sure, but I am sure that my husband is tired of not being fit, and I am sure that I want to be my best when I turn 50. I don’t want to face that decade weak and pudgy, but strong and fierce, which much more suits my nature.
Share your workout goals – if you have any.
And if not, what’s stopping you, and HOW can I help you make you a priority again?
Image courtesy of photostock / FreeDigitalPhotos.net