When you’re a parent raising kids with autism, you need a lot of tools to get you through. Here are THE top books I recommend to any parent raising a child with autism who wants to learn to help their kid.
This page contains my affiliate links.
- How to Teach Life Skills to Kids with Autism or Asperger’s: I did a full review here. From this book, I learned more about how Zoe thinks than I ever thought possible! This is a MUST HAVE for any parent, guardian or teacher of a child with autism.
- 1-2: Special Diets for Special Kids, Volumes 1 and 2 Combined: Over 200 REVISED and NEW gluten-free casein-free recipes, plus research on the positive … ADHD, allergies, celiac disease, and more!is the book that got Jenny McCarthy started on her amazing journey, and I cook with several times a week, sometimes daily. NOT to be missed if you are GF/CF! There is a great recipe for bread in here, by the way, lots of good entrees and side dishes, that even someone cooking-challenged like myself can use!
- Outsmarting Autism: The Ultimate Guide to Management, Healing and Prevention: This is one of two books I’m reading to get my certificate in helping kids with autism. This book will help you detox, correct, address, and plan for all your child’s issues. Learn more at author Patricia Lemer’s site.
- A Compromised Generation: The Epidemic of Chronic Illness in America’s Children: Ever wonder how the autism epidemic got started and why so many kids are struggling with chronic illness today? Beth Lambert of Documenting Hope helps unravel the mystery and teaches you how we can stop our kids from getting so sick. Learn more about their mission AND sign up for their newsletter to get an ebook on how 6 moms healed their children.
- Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders: This is the book that started it all for me way back when. Learn how autism, ADHD, asthma and allergies are related, what they do your child’s body and what steps can be taken towards healing these issues.
- How to Prevent Autism: Expert Advice from Medical Professionals: Mom Dara Berger shares all the knowledge she has learned on how to prevent autism from medical professionals. New, fresh and controversial, this is a must-read for people who want to protect their children.
- The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be: Dr. Martha Herbert has done some truly cutting edge research on the dangers of EMF on autism, as well as other research. This one is on my must-read list!
- Almost Autism: Recovering Children from Sensory Processing Disorder: A Reference for Parents and Practitioners: I subscribe to Maria Rickert Hong’s newsletter and recommend you do too! She has shows every week on how to recover ADHD, SPD or autism. You can check out her book and her home-study program.
- Cure Your Child with Food: The Hidden Connection Between Nutrition and Childhood Ailments: I met author Kelly Dorfman at the last TACA autism event and she is a wealth of information on the importance of food, diet, nutrition and more. Don’t just take food out- learn how to put the right food back in your child’s diet.
- The Un-Prescription for Autism: A Natural Approach for a Calmer, Happier, and More Focused Child: Another new guide on helping your child gain calm and focus using a natural approach.
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, A.D.D., Dyslexia, A.D.H.D., Depression, Schizophrenia: Most parents raising children with autism will get to this book, sooner or later. The GAPS diet can be a key pillar in helping your child heal his gut, but as you can tell by the title, it helps a TON of other ailments as well!
- The Heal Your Gut Cookbook: Nutrient-Dense Recipes for Intestinal Health Using the GAPS Diet: This is the perfect compliment to the GAPS Diet book, providing you recipes so you can plan your child’s foray into GAPS.
- Low Oxalate Fresh and Fast Cookbook: Hope and Help For The Low Oxalate Dieter: I have been putting off this diet forever, but this is the next book on my “to do” list since nothing has seemed to help the issues we’ve been dealing with. Oxalates are a source of problems for many kids with autism, especially if nothing else had worked. This diet improves kidney health.
- All Natural Mom’s Guide to the Feingold Diet: A Natural Approach to ADHD and Other Related Disorders: I just found this book by Sheri Davis of All Natural Mom of 4. The Feingold Diet removes all dyes, preservatives and other such garbage from your child’s diet. You can sign up with Feingold for about $80-90, or you can check out Sheri’s book on Kindle for less than $5 at the time of this writing:
- My new Autism Planning Workbook. I initially created these sheets in Excel to help me organize and coordinate my resources for my children, including IEP information, supplements, protocols such as homeopathy, special diets and more. Now I’ve created a printable format for you so you can organize your child’s needs and assess what you need to tweak, change or continue each month. Whichever book you choose above, you’ll be able to easily adapt and track what you do with these worksheets.