Nearly one year ago, my husband “forced’ me to join a CrossFit gym. Previously, we had gone to another gym – which shall not be mentioned. While this gym was extremely affordable, it didn’t really offer classes and I find using machines very boring. We would go and do the treadmill together, which I later learned actually holds fat onto the body!
But it worked and now, a year later, I love CrossFit even more than yoga!
Is CrossFit A Waste of Time?
Yesterday, my husband was talking to a trainer who kept telling him that even if you are doing the exercises properly, CrossFit may not help you.
I started laughing. I don’t know if that’s true or not for other people, but for me, the woman who was 100% resistant to doing this kind of high impact, army-tuned workout, I saw PLENTY of benefits.
You should know that I’ve only been a member of any gym 2 other times in my life; the one mentioned above and one in New York before I got pregnant. Other than that, it’s been one treadmill and one abs videotape that I used to use, and that’s IT.
10 Ways CrossFit (and SoldierFit) Helped Me
So while I’ve posted before about my short-term gains and possibilities, here is what high-impact workouts have actually done for me:
- Weight loss, of course! I haven’t been focusing on nutrition as much as possible and I’m not very overweight but I have been able to fit back into clothes I could not wear after menopause.
- Speed. I learned how to run faster. Running has NEVER been my thing so right about the time I thought I was faster, my trainer told me that I indeed WAS RIGHT!
- Breathing for better endurance.
- Pain management. I can handle pain and am learning to push past it, which has all kinds of mental health benefits!
- Handling the hurt. I know how to workout around an injury so as not to make it worse – and when I should step away from the gym, too. I’m far more in tune with my body overall.
- Healing. I’ve conquered what was likely adrenal fatigue. Last winter, I was so exhausted all the time that I would wake up feeling just as tired after 7 hours of sleep as when I went to bed. That went away by February.
- Long-time body goals. My legs are amazingly strong and firm, which helps with endurance and speed. The last time my legs were this strong was when I was on a trip to London in my 20s and was bored there I spent 8 hours a day, for about 3 weeks, walking. My legs are even better now.
- Mood. If I need a pick-me-up or to process my feelings, these intense workouts help me through.
- Confidence. I’m stronger, fiercer, more confident, and I really like the new me.
- New body goals. I can finally see my ab muscles! Cool.
Now if you are starting a program, be careful. Here are my tips for getting in shape without getting hurt.
Need more? Well here are 8 benefits of Crossfit from Fit & Me.
The Right Gear For Your Workout
I was actually fortunate that at the time, I had some workout gear, which I dug up. SolderFit likes it’s “troops” to come in “uniform,” so you have a free shirt when you sign up and you can earn more as you reach attendance goals or get more people to sign up. It’s great because I don’t have to worry about what to wear to the gym, as long I have clean pants!
But the pants can be everything. Traditional gym pants get sweaty and smelly when you’re working out so hard your eyelids are sweating. And if you have a few sensory issues, it’s disgusting. I only live 5 minutes from the gym but I can never wait to strip off my clothes.
That’s why I was excited when Koral contacted me to review their line I jumped at the chance. They sent me these awesome Knockout Leggings – in black and white camo, naturally! When they came, they were so tiny I wasn’t sure they would fit but they are PERFECT. They look awesome on my beautiful new legs.
Why I Love Koral Activewear
Here’s what I loved about them:
- They’re warm but not really. I don’t feel nearly as hot as I do in my lycra leggings. Actually, my legs don’t feel hot at all.
- They soak up all the sweat so they are pretty dry when I take them off. I normally build up a full body sweat, as I said, so it’s nice not for my clothes not to be dripping.
- I don’t smell any odor after sweating in them either.
- They do fit just right, staying up even through donkey kicks and burpees.
Check out the technology that they use in their custom fabrics, which includes moisture wicking (to stay dry), odor control, anti-pilling, and more! The prices are a little high for all that technology but if you are serious about your CrossFit or your 5K training, this is the brand for you. They carry tops, bottoms, bras, shorts, and even maternity and outerwear.
Sign up on their website to get 15% off. Koral is also available at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdales.
What do you think? Would like to try Koral?
Kris Bauers says
Good for you Mama! Self-care is so important, our minds bodies and hearts need to be taken care of so we can take care of our littles (or not so littles)! My outlet is reading and running, I just finished a book that I am telling all of my friends that are parents with special needs children. Space of Love by Gayle Nobel is a beautiful, honest and necessary book that made me laugh, cry and connect. If I could drop it on all of the Mama’s doorsteps in this world, I would! But instead I’m going to sing it’s praises and hope everyone checks it out. You will see what I am talking about. You can find more info on her site, http://www.gaylenobel.com. And keep on rocking at crossfit, that is awesome!
Thank you for the recommendation, Kris! I’ll check out the book. And thanks for the compliment and encouragement!