Raising kids who on are the autism spectrum, have speech delays and are nonverbal, or have severe learning and/or developmental disabilities can be a challenge. As parents, we constantly worry about their safety. Will they wander? Will they hurt themselves if we get distracted? Is my child safe at school? We need products, services, and tools that can provide safety for a child on the autism spectrum.
Unfortunately, we can’t be with our children 24/7, but with today’s technology, we can invest in devices that make their lives – and ours – much easier and keep them safer. Most apps for kids on the spectrum focus on coping skills, academics, or communication. I suppose most think a child can handle and will have a smartphone.
But what if …
- Your child is too little to understand safety?
- You are raising a child with a disability who may likely never understand the concept of “danger”?
- Your child is easily distracted and wanders?
- Your child is in a new school or other atmosphere and you’re uncertain that he or she will be safe?
Well, some great new products have arrived and I’ve tested them out for you. These autism safety products are helpful for your child and can provide a measure of protection that will help you to sleep better at night. There are lots of options and plans are quite affordable. In fact, the cost for these devices runs from fairly to very affordable!
Well, some great new products have arrived and I’ve tested them out for you. Ready? Without further ado, here is the:
Autism Safety Products
I’ve received Jiobit with brief connectivity for review. Some also contain my affiliate links.
Obviously, one of the biggest safety concerns for parents raising a child on the autism spectrum is called “elopement,” when your child wanders away without supervision. This can happen to anyone, despite the measures you take. It happened to us even with doors we thought were secured. Blink, go to the bathroom or fall sleep and a child can literally VANISH.
But the Jiobit is designed to tackle this problem. This small tracking device is designed to attach to their clothing. The app itself is pretty cool, too. You will see your child’s location in real time, just like when you’re calling up a service like Uber. You can ring your Jiobit (also useful if when you misplace it!), see if it’s connected, and see the battery life left on the device. You can also set the range for the alert. When your child is wearing the Jiobit and steps out of that range you will be alerted. Always test first in new locations, to make sure your Bluetooth signal is strong.
It’s a little tricky to snap the clip in and out but doable. The booklet has a bunch of different ways you can attach the device to your child’s clothing – ponytail, shoe, shirt. It also comes with a silicone wrapper to cushion your child from the hard plastic. The charger dock hooks right up to your computer and is small enough not to take up too much space.
- Smart Tag: $129.99
- Charging Kit: $24.99
- Monthly subscription: $8.99, $14.99, or $16.99
- Sales available: Yes, check page>> https://www.jiobit.com/?rfsn=5946398.e836ff
AngelSense is another tracker specifically designed and created for children with special needs. Features include a speakerphone, non-removable wearing options, and indoor/outdoor live location functions. Other features:
- School bus monitoring
- SOS call request
- Assistive speakerphone to help your child communicate
- Emergency detection alerts for problems like autism wandering (elopement)
- Real time mapping with search & rescue teams
- Kit: $229, with sales events offering up to 70% off ($69)
- Monthly subscription: $52.99 month to month, or $39.99 with commitment
- Yearly plan: $33.33/month
- Sales available: Yes, discounts AND coupons, check page>> https://www.angelsense.com/pricing/
3. Big Red Safety Box by National Autism Association
You have to apply for a grant to receive this kit. This kit includes
- Two GE Wireless Door/Window Alarms with batteries
- One RoadID Bracelet or Shoe ID tag*
- 5 Adhesive Stop Sign Visual Prompts for doors and windows
- 2 Safety Alert Window Clings
- A Child ID Kit from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- The REDy booklet for caregivers
These are some excellent autism safety products that you can buy OR buy them for a parent raising a child on the spectrum!
Yet another device that tracks your child. This device features:
- Two way communication with your child.
- 40 hours of battery power
- Tracking info is updated every 40 minutes
- You can set up alerts based on safety zones and get a warning when your child is leaving them.
- Predator alerts
- $135 plus $19.99 activation, however as of now, (December 2021), they are sold out until March 30th, 2022
- Monthly service plans are $15 or $25 per month, depending on your package.
5. Law Enforcement Programs
These projects are community-based and helps law enforcement to safeguard a family member who might wander. While you do have to locate your community in the finder, the map indicates that this program has fairly complete coverage across much of the continental United States.
- Equipment to help locate your loved one
- Training for law enforcement and local agencies on both cognitive disabilities, the equipment, and appropriate search & rescue techniques for this population
First, you’ll need to find out if your area is covered. If so, you’ll be provided with the information on which police department to contact to enroll your child.
If not, Project Lifesaver also has a personal locator system and/or a perimeter home safety system.
Other Products That Can Help You Keep Your Autistic Child Safe
There are a few other options that can help you get what you need to keep your child safe.
- The REDy Booklet for Caregivers also by National Autism Association is a free guide that helps you prevent wandering and gives advice should the worst happen.
- If I Need Help provides a QR code and ID registry database for those with special needs and other cognitive challenges.
- ICE for Autism is a mobile app dedicated to autism that provides information to the authorities for anyone on the autism spectrum. Information can include health conditions, allergies, sensitivities, medications, healthcare providers and more. This tool also allows you to program specific information, such as behaviors, triggers, communications needs, etc.
- Be Safe the Movie is designed to teach safety to your child. There is a curriculum with the film available for purchase too, or you can just watch the movie.