A series on frugal living wouldn’t be complete if I did not include a section on DIY – how to make your own everything.
Unfortunately, I am NOT a do-it-yourselfer, however, I have LOTS of friends who are. The key to DIY is getting a recipe, resource or guide that shows you what to do and how to do. The more complete, the better. Without further ado, here is a list of DIY resources and tutorials to make your life easier:
The more you can do for yourself, the better. Another tip from a friend who suffered from gout: celery seed extract was one of the few things that relieved his pain for a substantial period of time.
- My post on how I reduced Zoe’s fever and more resources for natural health care
- Elise’s Cough Syrup
- Incredible Toothpaste
- Check out The Elliot Homestead’s Homemade products page for recipes for chapstick, eczema cream, heartburn remedies and more.
FOOD & GARDENING
- Susan Vinskofski of LearningAndYearning.com has a whole category of gardening tips.
- Anna Hackman of Greek Talk shares her Top 5 Tips on How NOT to Ruin Your Vegetable
- Backyard Chickens Are Easy (just make sure they’re allowed!)
CRAFTS & GAMES
BATH & BODY CARE
- Easy Foaming Hand Soap
- How to Make Dandruff Shampoo
- Yearning and Learning’s Skin Care DIY Category of articles including petroleum jelly substitutes and toothpaste.
- Moisturizing Avocado Face Mask,
- Skin Brightening Kiwi Mask
- Sugar Scrub vs. Sea Salt Scrub
- Luscious Lip Balm Made Easy
- Coconut Oil Body Lotion, Eye Makeup Remover & Eye Cream
- Whipped Body Butter
- How to Make Lavender Sugar Scrub
- This is a lovely recipe for a Natural Countertop Cleanser.
- Distilled white vinegar is a great stain cleaner but remember that it can come from GMO corn.
It’s a no brainer that you’ll save money if you recycle and upcycle. Here are some great ideas:
- Anna Hackman of Green Talk gives you 16 Ways to Use Food Leftovers, a frugal post if ever there was one!
- Want to a great way to reduce waste? In Growing Food from Food Scraps, Jen of Jen & Joy Go Green teaches you how to recycle those scraps!
- 7 Ways to Use Leftover Shampoo
- Mason Jar Ideas
- 5 Upcycled Wine Bottle Ideas >> My favorite!
- Create a Coupon Wallet from a Reusable Grocery Bag (No sewing required!)