This post was sponsored by DefenderShield; all opinions are my own.
As much as possible, we try to live a nontoxic life as a family. And most of the time that means buying cleaner foods or chemical free products.
But did you know there is another danger, lurking everywhere you go these days? It’s in your child’s libraries and your coffee shops, your home, your vehicle, their school and it follows your family when you travel too. And it’s one that you might not have considered.
That danger is Electromagnetic Radiation – or EMF radiation – exposure.
What is EMF?
First, let’s talk about what EMF is. When you use your electronic devices, like cell phones, computers or TVs, an electric current is generated that creates an extremely low frequency (elf) electromagnetic field or EMF. Devices such as cell phones and tablets also transmit radio frequency signals (RF), when receiving data, text and calls.
EMF radiation is a form of energy that can alter and impact the environment, impacting your cells and possibly even having negative health effects.
Who is exposed to EMF radiation? Anyone with WiFi or a cell phone, tablet or laptop that transmits and receives data – that means all our children – is exposed to this radiation daily.
The Dangers of EMF
The first time I ever heard about EMF was when I worked in telecommunications. Our engineers told me something back in ‘90s that many are reluctant to hear today: exposure to EMF can cause serious health problems.
At night school, one of my computer science teachers told the class that he investigated EMF for his doctorate – and that what comes out of the back of your television can cause illness. He had sage advice: “If you have children, never put their crib on the wall on the same side as the television in the room next door.” Back then, the CDC published that people in certain fields who were exposed to high levels of EMFs in the workplace had higher rates of cancer.
Today, we have studies that show the harm of these all too common fields of radiation. In 2016, U.S. National Toxicology completed a peer-reviewed study proving that increased exposure to RF radiation lead to higher chance of rare brain and heart cancer. This is not the only study linking cancer and EMF exposure, but it is one of the largest and most in-depth, and is well respected in the scientific community.
If you’re wondering if our children are more vulnerable, the 2012 BioInitiative Report documented the effects of ELF and RF radiation on health. They concluded that these types of radiation have adverse effects on fertility, reproduction and children under the age of 12. Pretty scary stuff for a mom to hear!
EMF and Autism
For those of you, like me, with children on the spectrum, you may be nervous. Our kids benefit quite a bit from their iPads and tablets, and many who struggle with communication can now thrive, thanks to these devices. But what about their EMF exposure?
Dr. Martha Herbert, well known to some of us in the autism community, has published a peer-reviewed study called, “Autism and EMF? Plausibility of a pathophysiological link, Part I and Part II.” She states that kids with autism are subject to “major weakpoints” and one of those is EMF. She believes that some of the behaviors apparent in autism can be aggravated by EMF exposure. That is, autistic children are, or may be even more susceptible to the dangers of EMF radiation than other children.
8 Ways To Reduce The Dangers of EMF
If you’re now thinking you’d like to toss your phone out the window, stop! That’s too impractical. In fact, by taking some simple measures, you can keep your family safe – and keep your devices. That’s because EMF exposure accumulates. The longer you are exposed and the closer you are to your devices the greater your increased chance of health affects.”
These 8 steps can reduce your child’s exposure to EMF and protect your family from its dangers today:
- Keep your WiFi router set up as far away as possible from your family living and sleeping areas as possible – like in the garage or basement.
- Turn off the WiFi at night, every night. Set it up so that it’s easy to accomplish, keeping everything organized and in one place.
- Make sure not to bring up cell phones and tablets to your bedroom at night.
- Hardwire your computers and big electronics rather than using WiFi. That will allow your family to stay safer while doing work or play.
- Don’t add more large-scale electronic devices that can’t be hardwired or turned off to your home. (Do you really need that smart, WiFi-connected refrigerator?) You may also want to reconsider any baby monitors you now use.
- Limit how much time your child spends on cell phones and tablets. You know you want your kids to be on the phones less – now you have an excellent health reason! Don’t forget to add in the time they are using devices at school.
- Don’t get too close. Try not to carry your cell phone on your person too often, using a purse or bag. Use a hands-free headset or put it on the table in a docking station to create some distance when using. Radiation follows the Inverse Square Law of physics and at one foot away from the source, the EMF emissions decreases in strength. So those emissions leaving the mobile device and heading away from you are not as harmful as the ones in direct contact with your body.
- If you use mobile electronic devices directly against your body, EMF radiation shields should be used to help limit your exposure.
Where can you get this kind of safety? DefenderShield offers a full line of EMF radiation shields for tablets, cell phones, laptops and other electronic devices to help keep your family safe. They protect from all forms of EMF emissions including WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular signals, blocking up to 99% of radiation in the direction of the shielding to keep the user and their body cell away from radiation emissions. DefenderShield makes protection cases for both iPhones and Galaxy cases, as well as 7-8” and 9-10” tablets including the iPad and Kindle Fire. Their DefenderPad Laptop Radiation & Heat Shield blocks virtually 100% of harmful radiation that emits from the bottom of your laptop, so you can safely rest it on your legs.
Finally, their latest product, the ConcealShield Privacy, Security, and EMF Protection Pack. The ConcealShield is a little different, in that, it not only helps protect from EMF radiation, but also from digital pick-pocketing and identity theft. It has a pocket that completely blocks all incoming and outgoing signals including RFID, NFC, Mobile, GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth. So when you’re traveling, or just on the go, you can place your cell phones, credit cards, passport or other trackable items into the ConcealShield pouch and their data is protected. This bag has a strap so you can wear it over your shoulder, and extra pockets for business cards, cash, papers or anything else you want to carry with you.