We all know that Halloween can be a scary time for kids with allergies or food sensitivities. This year, make it easy on yourself by following these 5 tips:
1. Find a teal pumpkin.
As you trick or treat, watch out for teal pumpkins, a sure sign that allergen-free candy or toys are available. Visit the map at Teal Pumpkin Project to see who in your neighborhood has signed up or check local boards and groups. You can also participate yourself!
2. Trick or treat on a full stomach.
If your kids are really full, they’ll be less likely to take more treats. Fill them up with a nice hearty meal. You can promise them hot chocolate too, and postpone giving out too many treats before you’ve had a chance to sort them yourself.
3. Bring your own treat to the party.
I did this one year and it worked to keep my kids away from no-no treats! The key is to make the treat more engaging and delicious than all the candy bars! I’m not a great cook but I accomplished that easily with my Graveyard Candy Cake, which is gluten, dairy, soy and corn free.
4. Detox the kids when you’re done.
Once you’ve given them what they are allowed to have, do a detox cleanse. A good probiotic or enzyme can help heal their gut, and an Epsom salt bath may helpful too. Clean out the sugar in their diet as well. As always, check with your doctor or healthcare provider to make sure these are good options for your child and to recommend brands.
5. Donate your candy.
Get your kids in the right spirit for Thanksgiving and the winter holidays by teaching them to give away the things they love. Find local organizations that accept candy. I like the idea of donating to the troops rather than sending it to children.
BONUS TIP: Do a treat swap.
You can be creative and use “switch witch” or even something less scary to swap out those treats. Try replacing treats with a gift, like a video they want, or replace the candy outright with something healthier.
Recommended Cleaner Candy Treats
Here are some brands I’m recommending for a treat swap:
- Enjoy Life Mini Cookies: Free of top 8 allergens >> coupons are here!
- Bitsy’s Brainfood: Nut free, not gluten free. Coupon here, plus rebate on Ibotta app:
- Free 2 Be: formerly Sun Cups and now free from top 8 allergens!
- Enjoy Life Backing Chocolate Snack Packs: Free of top 8 allergens >> coupons are here!
- EatingEVOLVED Butter Cups: coconut based!
- Surf Sweets >> coupons
- Go Organically! Fruit Snacks: Good value and like their Facebook page for a coupon
- Annie’s Homegrown Fruit Snacks >> coupons
- Yummy Earth Lollipops and Fruit Candies
- Xyloburst Xylitol Lollipops